Monday, May 25, 2009

Straits of Mackinac

This Memorial Day Weekend I took a trip to the Straits of Mackinac. I passed many cemetaries on during the trip. It is was nice to see that so many have taken the time to honor our heroes who have sacrificed so that we may live in freedom, by placing flags on graves and paying their respects. Thank you to those who have served and to those who continue to serve.


The skies were mostly void of clouds, which is a killer for landscape photography. I did what I could and got a few good images. The Mackinac Bridge has probably been photographed millions of times. However, I have only had several chances and took the chance that there would be dramatic light. This is actually a 25 second exposure. I wanted to show the motion of the cars coming over the brige.

The second image is an abstract close-up of a tulip. This was taken with a macro lens and 3 extension tubes to allow an extreme close up. Feeling more comfortable with the camera and equipment allows me to try different things. Any thoughts on this????









The next image is a small field of Indian Paintbrush wildflowers. This was difficult because I was laying on my stomach and the black flies were swarming. Try concentrating with black flies on your ears, in your eyes and trying to fly up your nose!!









Finally, in another attempt at the Orton Process, these trilliums lining this road are not out of focus or dancing in the wind. This is a photographic effect that I am really liking.

No comments: